Correcting your NSO Birth Certificate (3 Major Corrections Explained)

If you’re looking to correct or change information on your birth certificate, then this post is for you.

I provide an overview of all the administrative changes you can do including costs, timeline, process and requirements (with the exception of illegitimate children, which I do not handle here).

I also provide an overview of the cost, timeline, process and requirements should you need to go to Court.

So, if you want to know what you need to do to change most things on your Birth Certificate, you’ve come to the right place.


How We Got Our Information and Pro Tips from Local Civil Registrars

Why You Need to Correct Your Birth Certificate

Changes You Can Do Yourself: Administrative Proceedings

Changes You Cannot Do Yourself: Judicial Proceedings

How We Got Our Information and Pro Tips from Local Civil Registrars

I’ve based this post on the Philippine Statistics Authority Guidelines.

I’ve also added information from  6 first-hand accounts and 8 calls to various Local Civil Registrars.

In addition, I’ve called the Legal Department of the Central Civil Registrar.

In total, at least 78 hours were spent on research and writing.

I did this because I saw a need for fresh, new information that wasn’t directly copied from the Philippine Statistics Authority Website. I also saw the need for a post that summarized the different types of administrative proceedings.

There was some really great practical advice from the Local Registrars that I haven’t seen written about elsewhere.

    1. As much as possible, go to the Civil Registrar where your birth was recorded. You might also decide to give a relative a Special Power of Attorney and photocopies of IDs and ask them to do it.Otherwise, you will be billed a migrant fee (which is still a cost albeit a minimal one) and the process will take longer due to the coordination between the Local Civil Registrar of your Birth and your Current Local Civil Registrar.
    2. First, figure out which Administrative proceeding you need to do.There are three main administrative proceedings – Change of First Name, Correction of Clerical Error and Supplemental Report. Please note I don’t include illegitimate children in this post. Each has a different cost, timeline, set of requirements and process.It’s really important for you to know which one you fall under so that you don’t have many problems. (Check out our Quick Reference List.)
    3. A maximum of 2 Supplemental Reports can be filed. You’ll have to file for Correction of Clerical Error if there are more and the PSA Main will usually be asked to approve it.
    4. If you are filing two requests together, you will only be charged the more expensive cost. In the example I discussed with the Muntinlupa Civil Registrar, the 1,000 peso charge for the Correction of Clerical Error petition was waived because the person was also filing a Petition for Change of First Name and this had a 3,000 peso charge.
    5. If you are correcting your sex from male to female or from female to male, you must go to the Local Civil Registrar yourself. This cannot be done by another. However, you’ll only have to file a Supplemental Report if the sex has been left blank or both sexes are checked. (reference is a call with the Quezon City Local Civil Registrar)
    6. Be prepared for variation. While there are PSA Guidelines, implementation is often uneven.
    7. I have written a general outline here only as I found enough difference in the processes that presenting more would be futile.I’d really urge you to call ahead.
    8. Bring photocopies and originals, and note that for some cases it is much better if you have more documents than strictly required.
    9. I’ve spoken to many Local Civil Registrars while doing this post but our experience is mainly in judicial proceedings relating to substantial Birth Certificate Changes.

I’d be happy to hear about other’s experiences and will absolutely add your experience and acknowledge your name in this post.

Why You Need to Correct Your Birth Certificate

Most people have no trouble with incorrect Birth Certificates till they start to interact with licensing bodies, the government or other countries.

For instance, people often correct their Birth Certificate to take the board exam. The PRC is pretty strict and it requires your name be exactly as it’s spelled on your Birth Certificate.

In addition, passports and visas require the exact name and a complete place of birth to be on a birth certificate.

Big or substantive changes require a court proceeding but are even more important to do. They affect inheritances, property rights or benefits and must be fixed as soon as possible.

As such, you should really fix any errors or omissions in your Birth Certificate as soon as you can.

This can really help to avoid problems down the line.

Things You Can Change Yourself: Administrative Proceedings

Thanks to RA 9048 and its amendment 10172, you can correct a lot of errors by yourself.

I’ve compiled them into a Quick Reference List below:

  1. Change of First Name
  • First Name Used is Different from First Name on Birth Certificate
  • First Name on Birth Certificate is Baby Boy, Baby Girl, Boy or Girl and the Child was Born 1993 onwards (Quezon City Local Civil Registrar stated this was Supplemental Report but PSA guidelines state otherwise).
  1. Correction of Clerical Error
  • Blurred First, Middle or Last Name
  • Mother’s Middle Name is Wrong and Child’s is Correct
  • Child’s Middle Name is Wrong and Mother’s is Correct
  • Wrong Spelling of First Name, Middle Name, Last Name
  • Interchanged Middle and Last Name
  • Middle Initial Entered Instead of Full Last Name
  • Wrong gender checked (Muntinlupa Civil Registrar)
  1. Supplemental Report
  • No First Name, No Last Name, No Middle Name if Legitimate or No Middle Name if Illegitimate and Acknowledged by the Father
  • First Name on Birth Certificate is Baby Boy, Baby Girl, Boy or Girl and the Child was Born before 1993
  • No check mark for gender or both genders checked (as per Muntinlupa Civil Registrar)
  1. Illegitimate Child While this is an administrative proceeding, this is under RA 9255 and I do not cover this in this post. It allows the child to use the surname of his father but does not change the child’s status to legitimate or illegitimate. Changes to status require a court proceeding.

If you don’t see the correction you need in this list, remember that administrative proceedings correct entries.

This ranges from things as mundane as two letters being interchanged, or to the insertion of a missing syllable in a child’s last name while the other last names were correctly spelled.

As long as the error is clearly an encoding error and you’ve got supporting proof, a petition filed directly with your Local Civil Register will succeed.

If you don’t find your change here, take a long hard look at your Birth Certificate.

If you objectively think that it’s so clear it was an encoding error was made, then you’d likely fall under a simple administrative proceeding.

Still not sure where you fall under?

Call the Legal Department of the Philippine Statistics Authority at +632-938-5273 and they’ll be happy to talk to you. I’ve spoken to them and they were remarkably helpful.

Or you might want to send a physical letter to Atty. Lourdines C. Dela Cruz, Director III, 4/F PSA-TAM Bldg., East Avenue, Quezon City, 1101.

Do not send email – they’ve told me this sometimes gets lost.

(And yes, always follow up.)

If you don’t fall under any of these things and you’ve checked with the legal Department of the Philippine Statistics Authority, check out our section on judicial proceedings.

Administrative Proceeding 1: Change of First Name

A Change of First Name Petition is really only to correct the first name on your birth certificate if it’s different from what you habitually use or if it’s Baby Boy, Baby Girl, Boy or Girl and you were born after 1993 (As per PSA Guidelines, but Quezon City Local Civil Registrar classifies it as a Supplemental Report).

A Change of First Name Petition requires the most documents and is the longest and most expensive administrative proceeding.

Timeline: 4 to 7 months (or longer!)

Cost: 7,000 pesos or higher (3,000 for the petition, 1,200 to 2,500 for publication, and notarization and other fees related gathering other requirements)

Requirements: Bring originals and several photocopies of the information required below. As far as I can tell, you’ll really need to have all the documents, since this is one of the more stringent administrative cases. All documents should show the correct entry.

  • Petition for Change of Name, notarized. You’ll get this at your Local Civil Registrar
  • Philippine Statistics Authority Birth Certificate (SECPA)
  • NBI Clearance
  • PNP Clearance
  • Certificate of Employment or Affadavit of Non-Employment
  • Community Tax Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • School Record Form 137 / Diplomas and Transcripts
  • Medical Certificate
  • Any 2 Valid IDs: SSS, GSIS, Philhealth, Pag-ibig, Voter’s ID, Company ID, Drivers ID, PRC License, Land Title/Certificate of Transfer of Title, Bank Records and also Marriage Certificate
  • Just a note. In my conversations with the Local Civil Registrars, they told me that it is best to present as much proof as you can. The proof you present must show the correct information for the entry that you wish to have fixed. This helps your petition succeed.


  • Your process would be to first get the form at the Local Civil Registrar of your Birth to get the checklist and make sure you are filing the right kind of petition.
  • You would then submit a notarized copy with your attached documents.
  • Pay your fees.
  • Present your receipt, secure the notice of publication, and wait for the Local Civil Registrar to prepare your petition.
  • You will then have to wait for your documents to be posted for ten days and for your petition to be published in a newspaper for two weeks. This can happen at the same time.
  • You will get this proof of publication and your endorsement from the Local Civil Registrar of your Birth and then send it off to the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila.
  • It takes 1-3 months for the Central Civil Registrar to process this. It is advisable to follow up.
  • After the Office of the Civil Registrar General affirms your petition, you will send it back to your Local Civil Registrar for certification.
  • You will need to get the certified copy from your Local Civil Registrar and have it forwarded to the PSA for them to annotate it and send you your annotated Birth Certificate.
  • The going back and forth takes even longer if you do not start the process at the Local Civil Registrar of your Birth since they are really the ones who will make the adjustment.

First-hand Accounts and Websites that Help:

  1. Change of First Name – Added a second first name
  2. Philippine Statistics Authority

Administrative Proceeding 2: Correction of Clerical Error

Timeline: 2 to 5 months but this can vary

Cost: 1,000 for the petition but notarization and other document processing fees may bring it up to 2,000.

Requirements: Documents needed are the Philippine Statistics Authority Birth Certificate (SECPA) and at least 2 of the following:

  • Voter’s Affidavit
  • Employment Record
  • GSIS Record
  • SSS Record
  • Medical Record
  • Business Record
  • School Record
  • Driver’s License
  • Insurance
  • Civil Registry records of ascendants
  • Land Titles
  • Certificate of Land Transfer
  • NBI/Police Clearance
  • To be honest, given what I’ve seen of the Local Civil Registrars, I would prefer to present as many documents that support my case. Some petitions do get disapproved, mostly for lack of convincing evidence.


  • Go to the Local Civil Registrar and verify that a Correction of Clerical Entry is what you need to file. Also ask for the documents required.
  • You’ll need to fill up the form, attach your documents, and submit this during your interview with the Local Civil Registrar.
  • Pay the fees at local treasury office.
  • Present your receipt at the Local Civil Registrar.
  • Return to pick up your approved petition.
  • Mail your approved petition to the Office of the Civil Registrar General and make sure you keep the receipt of the forwarder/courier together with the duplicate copy of the mailed documents.
  • Follow up with the Local Civil Registrar for the decision of the Office of the Civil Registrar General. An approved petition will allow you to get a Certificate of Finality.
  • Mail your Certificate of Finality to the Office of the Civil Registrar General along with additional records such as the Endorsement letter, etc.
  • You can then get your annotated Birth Certificate from the PSA

First Hand Accounts and Websites that Help:

  1. Philippine Statistics Authority
  2. Manila Civil Registrar
  3. Makati Civil Registrar

Administrative Proceeding 3: Supplemental

A Supplemental report is the fastest, cheapest and easiest way to address an omission on your Birth Certificate.

You can do a maximum of 2 changes through a Supplemental Report but more would require you to file a Correction of Clerical Error Report.

Timeline: A month (usually)

Cost: 1,000 pesos approximately although it can be less.

Documents: Bring originals and photocopies of your NSO Birth Certificate and any 2 (although I know Makati requests 3) official documents that show the correct entry.

Depending on what you are trying to prove, the documents will change. Ask your Local Civil Registrar what is pertinent to your case before you go.

Documents needed are the Philippine Statistics Authority Birth Certificate (SECPA) and at least 2 of the below:

  • Voter’s Affidavit
  • Employment Record
  • GSIS Record
  • SSS Record
  • Medical Record
  • Business Record
  • School Record
  • Driver’s License
  • Insurance
  • Civil Registry records of ascendants
  • Land Titles
  • Certificate of Land Transfer
  • NBI/Police Clearance
  • These are general requirements but I think these are the same for many others. Still, please check with your local Civil Registrar.


  • Go to the Local Civil Registrar and verify that a Correction of Clerical Entry is what you need to file. Also ask for the documents required.
  • Fill up the Supplemental report and attach all your documents.
  • Pay the fee.
  • Submit the receipt.
  • Your Local Civil Registrar will need to process your report, which you will need to pick up after a few days.
  • Mail or personally submit the Supplemental Report to the Office of the Civil Registrar General.
  • You can then already apply for your amended Certificate of Live Birth.

First-hand Accounts and Websites that Help:

Changes You Cannot Do Yourself: Judicial Proceedings

If your case doesn’t fit in anywhere or your petition has been denied, you might have to think about going to court.

Judicial Proceedings cover the below items:

  1. Changes in birth year
  2. Substantial changes to your mother’s or father’s last names
  3. Nationality
  4. Anything affecting legitimacy such as whether your parents were married.
  5. Additionally, the law does not allow you to completely change your name as it only addresses encoding errors.

Essentially, when you start to hit things that have a profound bearing on your legal or inheritance rights or want to completely change last names, then a court proceeding is necessary.

What are the documents you need?

As with any court case where you are trying to prove anything, the more pertinent information you present the better.

So if you’re trying to prove that your father was an American citizen, you’ll have to present documents that prove that.

Your father’s passport and your siblings’ Birth Certificates would be great supporting information in that case. There will definitely be other documents that you should prepare, but you get the picture.

Take note that all persons who may have an interest in these proceedings will need to be informed of this process.

This is a very firm requirement under Rule 108 of the Rules of Court and it cannot be waived. The case may not succeed otherwise.

What is the Court Process?

After gathering your documents, you’ll need to engage a lawyer to draft your Petition. The Petition will be signed by the lawyer and sworn to by the Petitioner.

It will then be filed in appropriate branch of the Regional Trial Court with its supporting documents. It will be raffled to a branch of the Regional Trial Court.

The Petition will be published in a random newspaper once a week for three weeks.

The lawyer will present to the Court the proof of publication and proof of notice to the required parties on the first hearing date. These will then be marked into the court’s record.

The evidence will be presented on the subsequent hearing dates.

The witness can be a relative or yourself and often may only require a written affidavit to attest to the authenticity of the documents.

All persons who have a claim or interest need to be formally informed of the court process.

For instance, if you want to change the name of your father on your birth certificate, you are going to have to inform your father, your siblings, the Civil Registrar, etc.

Additionally, this type of proceeding can even be done while you are abroad so long as you have the documents and someone to attest to their authenticity.

How long does it take?

You should expect a case to take about a year to a year and a half, although it may take longer should the case be more complicated and especially if one of the respondents opposes the case.

The reason that the case may take this long is that all the parties interested must be notified and that the petition must be published in a newspaper.

The process of raffling to the newspaper, arranging publication and then presenting this proof in court takes up time. The simple act of informing all parties interested in the case also takes up time.

In addition, a Petition for Change of Name requires that a hearing not take place within 4 months after the last Publication Notice, further extending the process.

You may have also have heard that Philippine Courts are very clogged. This is unfortunately very true. Hearings may be months apart.

Due to this and other side issues, the Court process is expected to take up the entire year or year and a half.

You should present the full case and all facts to your lawyer to ensure that the process is as quick as can be.

Your lawyer can then minimize side issues and plan the work effectively so as to get it done in the least amount of time.

How much does it cost?

You will have to prepare a certain amount for court fees.

These may include the initial filing fee and sheriff’s fees. There are photocopying costs, postage and notarization fees.

You will also have to prepare for newspaper fees to comply with the three week publication requirement.

Your lawyer’s professional fees will include an acceptance fee, where he commits to study the case, provide advice on what evidence to present and forgo other cases for your case. Often, this will depend on how complicated a case may be. Some cases can really be quite involved.

Subsequent fees are pleading fees and Court appearance fees. The cost for this depends on how involved the pleadings are or how far the Court is and are often agreed upon when you initially consult with your lawyer.


Personal Accounts

  1. Change of First Name – Added a second first name
  2. Corrected Gender
  3. Supplemental Report – Missing Place of Birth
  4. Supplemental Report – No Middle Name
  5. Supplemental Report – Missing Gender
  6. Supplemental Report – No First Name

Government Websites

  1. Philippine Statistics Authority
  2. Manila Civil Registrar
  3. Makati Civil Registrar

Local Registrars I’d like to thank:

  1. Muntinlupa Civil Registrar
  2. Quezon City Civil Registrar
  3. Legal Department Office of the Civil Registrar General
  4. Makati Civil Registrar
  5. Pateros City Civil Registrar
  6. Antipolo City Civil Registrar
  7. Pasig City Civil Registrar

64 thoughts on “Correcting your NSO Birth Certificate (3 Major Corrections Explained)

    1. This depends on what you want to change.

      For instance, I’ve heard a supplemental change takes a month if you follow it up and submit your requirements on time. This can also take longer and is very dependent on your NSO.

      However, a judicial change may take as long as a year or a year and a half.

      1. If it is a major change, then you’ll have to go to court.

        If it is simply a typographical error, you’ll need to go through the Correction of Clerical Error process, where the first step is going to your local civil registrar. The post outlines the complete process in the Administrative proceedings section.

      2. Good morning! I just want to ask what would be the process for changing one letter for my last name? It was spelled e instead of i. How should i correct this? and what would be the process? Please help me.

      3. This would fall under the correction of clerical error and you should gather all the proof to support that it is indeed an error.

        The process is as defined in the post above, in Administrative Process, Correction of Clerical Error.

  1. Good day! Ive been using the name Manuel Josef since i started schooling and even in my different government ID’s. But then i found out that my real name is Manuel George from my birth certificate? Should i change it to what ive been using now or should i follow my real registered name and change all my school records ang gov IDs? What could be the best solution to this? If you have a good advice, what should i do? Thanks and God bless

    1. Hi Emjay:

      The Birth Certificate is a primary document that is used for identification in many situations. I have come across several instances where a corrected birth certificate was crucially important – for instance, when people take the board/bar among others.

      Ultimately the choice of whether to do this belongs to you.

  2. How long will it take to fix missing father’s suffix on the birth certificate? Does it also go through court process?

    1. Hi Argus:

      I believe that this kind of correction would fall under an administrative process. However, you must have adequate proof that this is indeed just a typographical error as your local civil registrar will need this to effect the change.

  3. Hi there. How about if you’re born in another country but a Filipino citizen and you need to correct an error, is there any additional steps?

    and if you want to correct a clerical error by yourself using administrative proceedings, who would write the petition? Do you still need a lawyer for it? Thanks.

    1. Hi:

      You can correct most errors on a birth certificate by yourself although there are certain errors that need a lawyer (i.e. nationality, legitimacy, etc.). The instances where you need a lawyer are itemized in the post.

      I always suggest that corrections be filed with the civil registrar of your birth as this makes the process faster.

      Since you were born abroad, then you should file in the embassy where you birth was reported. The embassy will now coordinate with the main civil registrar of the Philippines, and this impacts the process in that it takes a very long time.

      If you are now living in the Philippines and plan to file from here, this process takes even longer since now the local civil registrar where you filed, the embassy and the main civil registrar of the Philippines will now coordinate, meaning that this long process is even longer.
      When I spoke to the Makati Civil Registrar about this, she mentioned a similar petition that had been with them for more than a year with no action.

      ~Edited for clarification

  4. Sir I already filed petition for correction of my name in my birth certification and already receive the petition from the local civil registry in 2009 but i did not send the copy of petition to NSO main office, if i’m going to send it today, is this petition is still valid to correct my name in my birth certificate.

    1. It should still be valid, but you will have to check and call the main office. Note that the main office is currently in santa mesa as the main building in Quezon City is being constructed.

  5. Hi
    How long it takes to fix my date of birth? How much it is cost? Can i make it online to file a petition of correction? Thank you!

    1. Hi:

      This depends on what you want to change.

      If you need to change the year, this would fall under a judicial proceeding, which is explained in the judicial proceeding section in the post above. This takes about a year to a year and a half and depends a lot on how clogged the court is.

      Change to the month or date are administrative proceedings that you can do yourself, and are itemized in the administrative section.

  6. Hi Sir,

    My middle name and my mother’s surname (sa pagkadalaga) in my birth certificate was wrong. The middle name written there is Naya but the correct middle name must be Vargas. Please advise me what to do and how much will it cost. I am registered in civil registry manila.

    Thank you in advance

    1. This kind of error is a judicial proceeding, meaning that you will have to go to court and that the process will take anywhere from a year to a year and a half. Note that this schedule is because of the court’s clogged dockets – though there are few hearings, they are often scheduled months apart.

      Please send your current birth certificate and all the proof that you have that your middle name and your mother’s surname are Vargas instead of Naya to my email so that I can assess your case; I will also then get back to you as to how much it will cost.

  7. Hello. The date of birth on my NSO Birth Certificate looks like it was erased. Only shows the year – 84. Also my middle name is blurred in the NSO BC. The CTC of my BC though shows the correct DOB and my middle name is clear. I was told by the LCR of Muntinlupa to get an Affidavit of Supplemental Report, with valid IDs containing my DOB, transcript of records and any proof. Also with my mother’s BC for the middle name. And said it will be faster if I’m the one to submit all requirements to PSA Main Office in Sta. Mesa. Is this true?

    1. Hi Jec:

      If I understand you correctly, you have a copy of your local birth certificate with the clear entries.

      As such, yes the local civil register is correct. The process is that you get your clear local civil register copy, file for your supplemental report and then follow the instructions your local civil registrar gives you.

      And it is very much faster if you bring it yourself to PSA Main Office.

      This would be the process that is most often followed, but note that there are some variations.

  8. Dear Sir,

    Good day. I’d appreciate an advise please.
    In my mom’s birth certificate, the entries are all handwritten by my lolo (her father). And in that certificate, under “Nationality” my lolo crashed out “Filipino” and replaced it with “American”. That’s because my lolo served in the US Army during the World War II and was a naturalized American citizen himself.

    Fast forward to present time, I now want to get a passport for my mom but thought that her birth certificate might cause a problem. My mom was born in Cavite City and has been residing in Cebu since in her 20s. She’s now in her mid 60s and has never left the country all her life. I figured that since the entry under “nationality” in her birth certificate was merely “crashed-out” and hand-written, will this concern fall under “Administrative Proceeding 2: Correction of Clerical Error”? or will this need Judicial Proceedings?

    1. Hello Rosabelle. This touches citizenship issues under the 1935 Constitution. Have you spoken with the DFA about this?

      I’ll need more information about her circumstances to offer advice. You can send it to if you wish and I’ll be happy to take a look.

  9. Hi Sir,

    My middle name and my mother’s maiden surname in my nso/psa birth certificate was misspelled. The middle name written there is Añuevo but the correct middle name must be Añonuevo. But the Civil registrar certified true copy of my Birth certificate though shows the correct spelling of my middle name and my mother’s maiden name. is this considered as clerical error? Please advise me what to do.

    Thank you God Bless

    1. Below advice assumes that you mean the Local Civil Registar copy is clear but the PSA copy is blurred.

      Based on one civil registrar I spoke with, the process differs per civil registrar.

      In Makati for instance, you would need to bring both the clear local civil registrar copy and the blurred PSA copy to the Makati Local Civil Registrar who would endorse you to the Regional Civil Registrar who will give the required feedback for endorsement to the Main Civil Registrar. Then, you would go back to the Makati Local Civil Registrar to pay a small fee and receive the transmittal sheet.

      You’ll then bring this to the Main Civil Registrar to get your clear copy.

  10. Thank you for this post. It will help me upon correcting my birth cert .The process is included in the links you indicated here . 😊 Godbless !

  11. Gud day sir,
    My middle name is mispelled. Instead dimalig my nso birth is dimaleg. How long does it takes to correct my middle name? In my government id’s, i used dimalig. I want to get passport. In getting passport, is it ok to attach affidavit or should i correct my middle name in lcr. Pls give me advise what to do..

    1. Hi Anna Mae:

      The passport law requires that your name on the birth certificate is the name on the passport. I would recommend fixing your birth certificate in this situation. It is difficult to assess the exact requirements without seeing the documents, so I suggest you go to your local civil registrar for assessment. The time required will also depend on their assessment.

      For instance, if your middle name is misspelled but your mother’s maiden name is correct, this might fall under a correction of clerical error, where the process and timeline is as above. However, if both your middle name and your mother’s maiden name is incorrect, this might be a judicial process. It will depend on what is on your document and really should be assessed.

  12. Hi Sir,
    I need help regarding to the proceedure on how to correct my father’s name in my birth certificate.
    He’s name there is Ruby but the correct name must be Rudy.
    Gaano din po katagal ang process at ang cost.At kung ano-ano po kaya ang mga documents na kaylangan.
    I really need to fix this asap dahil 3 months from now wedding day ko na. kahapon ko lang napansin n mali pala name ng papa ko sa BC ko.

    Thank you so much and God bless.

  13. Hi Sir,
    I need help regarding to the proceedure on how to correct my father’s name in my birth certificate.
    He’s name there is Ruby but the correct name must be Rudy.
    Gaano din po katagal ang process at ang cost.At kung ano-ano po kaya ang mga documents na kaylangan.
    I really need to fix this asap dahil 3 months from now wedding day ko na. kahapon ko lang napansin n mali pala name ng papa ko sa BC ko.

    Thank you so much and God bless.

    1. I believe this is under Administrative Correction of Clerical Error but you should consult with your local civil registrar. The post outlines the process for this.

  14. close relative ko may problems ang birth certificate, nilagay ng komadrona (nagpaanak sa kanya noon 1950 is chinese citizen). kumaha sya ng passport at verbally sinabihan sya na ayustin ang birth certificate bago maexpire ang ng 5 yrs. Within 5 years na petition sya ng anak nya sa US at grant sya ng US visa.Ngyon more than 5 yrs na passport nya hindi nya marenew unless ayusin ang birth certificate. Pwede syang bumalik ng pinas pero kpag d nya naayos birth certificate hindi na sya makakabalik ng US.Pwede po ba ayusin nya yun kit nasa abroad sya?may mga kapatid pa sya sa pinas na willing lumakad.

    1. It will depend on what she needs to fix as different errors have different processes. Change of gender requires a personal appearance.

      It is better to start at the local civil registrar where her birth was registered.

      It will also take a lot of time as the process can take several months to year, again depending on the specific facts of the case.

  15. Paano po aayusin ung apelyedo ng anak ko ako po yung tatay. Ipinanganak syang wala ako sa Pilipinas ang inilagay na last name nya under the mother’s last name. Pero sa birth certificate ng bata wala pong nakalagay na father. Kasi sabi po sa knila sa hospital hindi daw po pwdeng ilagay yong name at last name ko kasi wala ako kailangan daw ng pirma. Balak ko po sana magfile ng CRBA soon as possible. Salamat!

  16. Hi sir. My father was born on 1950 in Cebu. There’s a problem with his birth certificate it was indicated that his name is Emilia instead of Emilio and his gender was female. Just wanna ask for the procedures before sending our father to Cebu for the correction his birth record so that he will be able to get a passport. Thanks and God bless

    1. Hi Ems:

      The 2 errors would be Change of Gender and Correction of Clerical Entry. The processes are fully outlined in the post but I really urge you to call the local civil registrar you will be filing at since occassionally there are deviations in how they implement this. Be prepared to show them your documents.

      A few notes:

      1. It would be advisable to do them at the same time.

      2. It is also better to file it at Cebu since that is the local civil registrar of his birth. Filing it at another civil registrar is possible but you will have to file a migrant petition and it will be much longer.

      3. If you file in Cebu, you will definitely need someone to coordinate there are you will have to go back multiple times over the course of several months. Please check with the local civil registrar if after your father’s medical check for the gender, it is possible to authorize someone to do it with an SPA. I believe it is, but with every case I always check with the civil registrar that I am filing with.

  17. Hi,
    Thank you for a very helpful website:)

    I’m getting married in four months, but lately I found out in my birth certificate that my mother’s first name is incorrect (she use her nickname) and also my dad’s middle initial is also incorrect.

    How long will this take to correct?

    Will this really affect in getting marriage license?

    Thank you for your help.

    1. Hi Jane:

      For this situation, I’d really ask the municipality that is releasing your marriage certificate. They may accept an affidavit stating that you are the same person as this is not as strict as the passport law.

  18. Hello po, i have already filed a petition of my birth certificate in the entry of gender. My local civil regestrar said that it was already sent in Manila main office but it takes three months now and they do not receive affirmation from the main. I started this all process last January with the publication. And now i urgently needed my birth certificate and my LCR said that i will follow up the main personally or i choose a person in Manila to stand for me since i was located here in Mindanao. But i dont have any person that i know there. Is it possible to call the main office and ask if there is other way to make it faster?
    Or there is agency or anything that can assist my process birth certificate?

    1. Hi Dar:

      Your local registrar is correct. It is much better if you follow it up with the main registrar or send someone to follow it up. It takes a lot of following up to get this done.

      Please send an email explaining your situation so that we can better advise you.

  19. Good day sir. My problem is there is no assigned MCR in our municipality (Bagulin, La Union).Are there other options on how can I correct my father’s name?thanks for the response..

    1. Hi Ruby:

      If the error with your father’s name is a very simple typographical error or can be corrected through R.A. 9048, then you can do it yourself or equip someone to go to the registrar on your behalf with an SPA. However, I always advise coordinating with the civil registrar of your birth for any corrections even if it is far away. This may not necessarily be convenient.

      If it is a significant error, you will have to file a court case.

      1. Thanks for the response sir.But, how can we correct it if there is no civil registrar in our municipality?It’s been 5 months since the MCR resigned.

        The name of my father on top is incorrect (Marcelo)but his name on the bottom part is correct (Marcelino).

      2. Hi Ruby Ann:

        That is really a problem because even if you file in another civil registrar they will coordinate with the civil registrar of your birth. If there is no one there, the process will likely not move.

        This is unusual and I would suggest that you contact the Main Civil Registrar yourself to assess what can be done.

      3. Thanks for your rsponse sir. But, my problem is there is no civil registrar in our municipality. It’s been 5 months since the MCR resigned yet til now nobody is assigned.

        My father’ name on top of my birth certificate is incorrect (Marcelo), the one at the bottom is correct (Marcelino).

  20. Hi Good Day,

    May I kindly ask if what would be the procedure to correct my father’s name in my BC? To tell the short background of it, during the time of the application of my BC, it was my Aunt(sister of my mother)that filled-in the application form of my BC as my mom was sound asleep due to exhaustion of her labor. All information inputted was correct although my father’s name was incorrectly updated. The nickname of my father(which everyone on our family knows) was the one updated instead of his real name. I asked our local civil registrar some time ago, aside from the other mandatory documents, they were also asking for a marriage certificate of my parents. But what if my parents were not married, is there any alternative documents I can give to suffice the requirements?



  21. Hi!

    My husband has two birth certificates. First one bearing his father’s last name (his parents are not married). second bearing his mother’s last name in a late registration after 4 years. All the while he was using the name on his second BC even in his passport.

    What can we do with this? Recently I have been requesting online at PSA for a copy but they are sending the 1st one. before we are getting the 2nd BC in the online delivery.

    Pls advise.

    1. Hi Clariza:

      The PSA seems to have rationalized and cleaned up and all those with double entries are now reflecting the first report, not the second report of birth or marriage.

      If your husband wants to use his mother’s name but his PSA birth certificate report his father’s name, this may end up being a court case pending clarification of some questions that remain about your situation.

      Although the case would take a year to a year and a half, it is important to get this done since the Birth Certificate is a major identification document.

  22. Hi,

    I just filled a supplemental report (missing gender, missing type of birth, missing time of birth) today from civil registrar, they told me that they will give my papers to me after (3 days) and after that i will need to submit the papers to PSA office. how long will it take to process at PSA office?

    1. It really varies. I have noticed that it can last about a month to a few months for the actual processing, and can take longer if we include the transmittal of papers between one government office to another.

  23. Hi.

    First, there is an error in my mother’s maiden name. on the LCR it was spelled with ‘e’ (which is the correct one) and on the PSA it was spelled with ‘i’.

    Second, when she was a child she was adopted and a second first name was added to her name. Her adoption was successful, undergone court proceedings, and had a finality. However, it was not forwarded to the LCR nor the PSA. Thus, her record in the LCR and PSA is still her maiden name. (the one with only one first name)

    In all of her identification cards, school records, marriage records, etc., she used the name after she was adopted. Now, she cannot obtain a passport because of this. Can I ask what are the steps in changing/correcting her name? Thank you.

    1. Hi Maden:

      Since the LCR has the correct spelling of your mother’s maiden name, I would ask the LCR to endorse a copy to the PSA.

      For the first name issue, it is really best to register the court decision with the LCR. This is the fastest way as she would otherwise have to file a first name change.

      I’d still call the LCR to see what their assessment is as they have some differences in assessment and might be able to suggest ways to speed up the process.

  24. Good day, My problem here is my father’s name is Romeo Florendo Marcaida but UNKNOWN po ang naka register sa birth certificate sa father’s name ko. And yung sa mothers maiden name is Ofelia Reyes Marcaida na dapat po Ofelia Castillo Reyes. Pano po ang process ? Thankyou

    1. Hi Erika:

      There is really too little information given in your comment to make an accurate assessment.
      Your documents would need to be assessed and several questions asked such as whether your parents were married, whether there were other siblings, etc. You’d also have to present some documents, and that is just for assessment.

      It could be either a court case or an administrative proceeding based on the information so far given.

  25. Sir how about an erasure in the firs Name,? My sister Psa birth cert showed two names the first one was written Shierly (cross out) Shieryl (correct). Is it valid for getting passport? Thank you

    1. Hi Blue:

      You’ve stated that it is the PSA document that has the crossed out name.
      This is an unusual case and you really must call the DFA to see if they will accept this.

  26. Hello Sir,

    Glad to have found your website as I would like to get information on how my brother’s birth certificate can get fixed. His middle name is wrong (mother’s surname), it is Musngi instead of Musni. The problem is, some of his IDs and other documents already have Musngi on it since he was forced to go by it as he was not allowed to use his real middle name by those agencies.

    Can he just go to LCRO and have it fixed there, or he needs to get a lawyer?

    Thank you for any help.

    1. Hi Susan,

      My answer only applies to the very limited information given so please take note that this may change depending really on the information present in your birth certificate.

      I am making the following assumptions:
      1. Nothing else is wrong on his birth certificate, just the spelling of his middle name which is Musngi not Musni.
      2. His mother’s name on his birth certificate is correctly spelled Musni.

      If that is the case, then this could possibly fall under Correction of Clerical Error under R.A. 9048.

      Regarding the documentary requirements, you really must present other documents that show the correct spelling. Regardless of whether you go to court or not, proof is needed to effect the change.

      1. Hi again Sir,

        Thank you for your reply.

        I checked my brother’s birth certificate again and I just found out that even our mother’s maiden surname is also entered as “Musngi” instead of “Musni”. So in this case, both of the entries are wrong. Will this be now fall under judicial process?

  27. Hello Sir,

    Glad to have found your website as I would like to get some information . I’m malasyain but in my daughter’s birth certificate father’s nationality is Filipino (wrong) . in my son birth certificate it can show father nationality is malaysian . what document i have to prepare to change father’s nationality in the birth certificate . and which department my daughter’s birth certificate can get fixed . it will take how long time to fixed ?

    Thank you for help

    1. Hi Rico:

      This is a court process taking 1 to 1 and 1/2 years as anything that changes citizenship on a birth certificate must be done though the judiciary.

Leave a Reply