3 Ways to Legally Separate if You’re in a Philippine Marriage

by | May 23, 2018 | Family Law, Annulment & Other Separations

A broken heart flanked by an unhappy couple in a broken marriage.

Ending a marriage can be tough!

The end of a marriage is a difficult time. You’ll need to read this post if you’re trying to figure out the best way to legally separate.

This post discusses 3 ways to dissolve a marriage in the Philippines and gives a brief overview of costs and the process.

In it, you may find the path that works for you.

3 Options to Legally Separate

A broken house with the family on different sides

There are options to end a marriage.

The Philippines famously has no divorce but does recognize that some marriages do need to come to an end.

Other than death, there are 3 ways to dissolve a marriage in the Philippines and each of these allows you to remarry again.

1. Recognition of Foreign Divorce

• Only for Filipinos who’ve divorced a foreigner
  • A year and a half
  • Usually faster than annulment

2. Void Marriage

• Marriages not valid from the beginning which include psychological incapacity grounds.

3. Voidable Marriages

• Marriages valid at the beginning but can be annulled for certain reasons.

Don’t get confused – there is something called Legal Separation in the Philippines.

However, this doesn’t allow you to remarry in the Philippines.

It only dissolves your common property regime and releases you from the obligations of marriage such as living together.

This and judicial separation of property deal more with dividing marriage property.

Recognition of Foreign Divorce

A large x between a groom and a bride with flags identifying their nationalities to show the end of a marriage.

Foreign divorces can be acknowledge in the Philippines through a court process.

Recognition of Foreign Divorce is simpler and faster than annulment but is only for marriages where a foreign spouse is involved.

You are not eligible for this if:

• You are a Filipino who divorced another Filipino in a foreign country;
  • You are a Filipino who divorced another Filipino and one of you became a foreigner only afterward.

This is only applicable for divorced couples where at least one spouse was a foreigner.

One of you must be a foreigner at the time of the divorce.

So, if you were both Filipinos but one became a naturalized citizen of another country (say the U.S.), then you divorced, you can avail of this process.

Recognition of foreign divorce is usually faster and more certain than annulment and allows you to remarry in the Philippines.

Filing for recognition is advisable this since there are property issues that will arise from not doing so.

If you plan to live or retire here, if you have children together, or if you have Philippine property, you really should get this done.

Further information detailing the cost, process and other important aspects is found here.

Void Marriages

A wedding couple that is being pounded by a gavel.

A void marriage allows 2 Filipinos to separate.

Void marriages are marriages that are against the law or didn’t meet certain requirements before they were celebrated.

The court process to legally dissolve a void marriage is one for declaration of nullity.

So, what would make your marriage void?

First, your marriage is void when you haven’t complied with basic requirements:

• One of you was under 18 at the time of the marriage;
  • You had no marriage license;
  • Your marriage was performed by someone not authorized to do so (unless you both believed in good faith that he was);
  • You are already married (unless one spouse was declared presumptively dead);
  • You married and were mistaken as to the identity of your spouse;
  • You married before the judgment declaring your previous marriage void was recorded in the Civil Register.

Second, a marriage is void when it smacks of incest – including those situations with adopted children.

Marriages are void when it is incestuous such as between brothers and sisters or between ascendants and descendants.

As adopted children are considered the family, marriages that involve them and their adopting family are also void. (Article 37 and Article 38 of the Philippine Family Code)

Finally, the most resorted to the ground for declaration of nullity is the psychological incapacity of one or both of the spouses at the time of marriage.

Psychological incapacity can be a contentious ground which requires significant evidence to prove. It usually requires a psychological profile and reports on both of the spouses, and a professional psychologist and other witnesses to testify to the psychology and history of either spouse.

Annulment

A married couple being cut in half.

Annulment is usually the only option when 2 married Filipinos wish to separate.

For all other marriages, an annulment is the only option.

You can annul the marriage for the following reasons:

• married without guardian’s consent if one was 18 but below 21;
  • either party was of unsound mind;
  • fraud;
  • coercion;
  • not able to physically consummate the marriage;
  • serious sexually transmitted disease.

As with the other methods, this involves a court process.

The court where it is filed often determines how quickly the case is processed. In addition, property and custody issues can lengthen the process.

There are several hearings and pleadings which also add to the cost.

Annulment Fees are composed of:

• Filing fees
  • Court Appearance Fee
  • Lawyer’s Acceptance Fee
  • Pleading Fees
  • Miscellaneous Fees

Still, the peace of mind and being able to remarry are often worth it. It also helps to ensure that property issues do not arise.

Special Mention: Legal Separation and Judicial Separation of Property

An angry wedding couple facing legal separation.

Legal Separation doesn’t allow remarriage but splits property.

While the above 3 are ways to dissolve a Philippine marriage, I’ll also mention Legal Separation and Judicial Separation of Property.

They are often discussed in the same breath but deal mainly with dividing property and do not allow you to marry again.

Legal separation involves property division and separation of bed and board when one of the spouses is at fault.

When you undergo legal separation, the following happens:

• You are awarded property if you are the innocent spouse;
  • You are not required to fulfill marital obligations such as living together, etc;
  • You are not allowed to marry again.

On the other hand, Judicial Separation of Property can be a no-fault division of property.

Spouses can agree on what should be given to whom and this can be with or without cause.

As these can be complex cases, please read How is the Marriage Property Divided in Legal Separation? and A Simpler Way to Divide Conjugal Property for more detail.

76 Comments

1. Velina

I want to annul my married from my husband who cheated me 2 times..but apparently that time he did that I’m always give him a second chance because we have 2 son..then I got to abroad to work and I realized that its enough to be with him..

2. Alex

I got married while my birth certificate is still marked as male on the gender is my marriage void in the first place?

• Lawyers in the Philippines

No, this is not a ground for a void marriage.

• john

I dont feel any love anymore to my wife? but i cant tell her frankly..what am i suppose to do?

• Lawyers in the Philippines

Are you wishing to end your marriage?

Annulment is your only real option should you wish to remarry again.

3. Aidan

Hi good day i would like to ask if i can file an annulment from my ex we got married because of her religion stating that she wont get baptized unless we got married as we are already living together. i decided to broke up with her because she keeps on assaulting me when im asleep when we are not in good terms. hope for your kind advice thank you.

• Lawyers in the Philippines

To end the marriage, an annulment can be filed as you are both Filipino.

The facts and details would have to be assessed first and a lawyer engaged.

4. Benedict

Good afternoon. Would like to know if “both husband and wife got tired of each other and finally decided to call the marriage off” is enough reason for legal separation? Lots of things happened in the past, like all marriages. We have our own fair share of mistakes, and as we sat down and talk about our marriage, we feel that it’s, with regret, time to end it. Make no mistake though, we tried to make it work time and time again, but it finally came down to the realization of we are not happy being with each other anymore. Would this be enough grounds for Legal Separation? Thank you in advance.

• Lawyers in the Philippines

This is not a ground for annulment or legal separation.

Legal separation separates property but doesnt allow remarriage. Annulment separates property and allows remarriage.

For this reason, I usually suggest annulment as the course to take.

5. Mylene

We are living apart for almost 4years how can I file for annulment? Is this reason enough so I can dissolve the marriage? We’re not getting along fine before we live separately

• Lawyers in the Philippines

Physical separation is not grounds for annulment.

Although more information would be need to give accurate advice, it is far more likely that psychological incapacity would be the ground used.

6. Melanie

Good afternoon. I just want to know f my problem with my husband will be ground for separation. My husband left me for almost 6 yrs. We have one daughterx

• Lawyers in the Philippines

Abandonment is not grounds for legal separation.

Annulment is more likely the correct process to go through as it ends the marriage and allows remarriage. Legal separation does not allow remarriage.

7. Sharyn

Good afternoon.. my husband and I we’re separated for almost 14 years and we don’t have contacts from each other… how can I file for annulment? My daughter is already 22 years old and I’m alone who gave her and support her till she finished college… please Sir I need your advice

• Lawyers in the Philippines

Hi – I go through annulment in great detail in my article Annulment (Nullity of Marriage and Psychological Incapacity).

It goes through all the steps and requirements. I think it may help give you an overview of what you need to prepare so that you can file.

8. Anonymous

Hi … i got married to my husband which i dont know he is married already to other girl and we have 3 kids and its 2 and half year already that were seperated what is the best way i can do…sir i need your advice sir thank you

• Lawyers in the Philippines

This is a bigamous marriage. Jowever to end it you would still have to go to court

9. Robert

Good day Sir/Mam. I Have same problem. After 9 years of marriage, me and my wife already separated. I also found out that she was already married once before me, without my knowledge. And its still valid because there’s no court decision that she’s annulled or separated to the first one. And her first husband is still alive.We’re already separated for about 10 years now. Is our marriage still valid? And can I still file for a void marriage? If so,what/how’s the process? Thank you.

Sent an email.

This may be a bigamous marriage but you would still have to go to court to dissolve it.

10. Cassandra

for attorney’s consultation fee for legal separation, how much will be the cost? thank you.

11. Anonymous

HI,
    Good day1 I have been separated from my husband for almost 10 years. We are planning to file an annulment/divorced, both agree from my side and his side. I have already a new partner we have been together for almost 6 years now. My husband knows my situation and his willing to file to void our marriages, but cannot afford to pay for annulment. Please, can you help me?
    Waiting for a response.

• Lawyers in the Philippines

This is a difficult situation.

Although you can approach the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO), I understand that the PAO has a great deal of work.

I am not sure that they can help – but it may be good to try.

The PAO is located in your local hall of justice.

12. teddy

how much will it cost for filing a presumptive of death? and is it possible to do it while im abroad?

Hi Teddy:

A presumptive death case can be filed while abroad but it can cost as much as annulment and requires very strong proof.

If your goal is simply to end the marriage annulment would be best.

13. Anonymousr

Hi me and my husband separated for almost 4 yrs and i want our marriage to be void.. Im raising may daughters alone…
    Is cheating can be a grounds for a annulment?
    Even buying a girl for a sex? And living together with other woman? Having a child with other woman? Are those reasons can help for annulment?

• Lawyers in the Philippines

It can form part of psychological incapacity but your case would first need to be evaluated by a lawyer and a psychologist to build the case.

14. michelle

hi! i need your help..my husband already told me to call a marriage off its because that we are always fighting and even he don’t have a stable job to sustain our daughter and Im the one who support it right now.He also cheated me one time and now I dont want to live with him anymore.Is it possible for a legal separation eventhough I am here working abroad??

It will depend.

You can start the process abroad but it is often advisable to testify in court for an annulment proceeding.

Legal separation separates property but does not allow remarriage. Annulment allows remarriage.

15. Lisa Conde

How to file for a judicial separation? How much & how long will i wait? Thanks in advance

16. Jon

How much for the full legal separation process? And so as to judicial seperation?

• Tina

I’am 16 years seperated iwas abandoned by my husband when my son is 2 years old now i have a partner and we want to be legal what steps i would do

17. Eva

Me and my husband already separated for 4yrs due to his inability to stay at the same work. He is a job hopper which results to inability to maintain benefits for our daughter. I’m currently sustaining all the needs of my daughter who is a special child and I don’t have any news to my husband since then. He also never provided money for needs and such since he is busy job hopping from one work to another even though its an office work. He tends to say he is being bullied in the office w/c idk if that’s a possible same reason to all the works he has been through. Can I ask how much is the rate for annulment in this case and how much years does this take usually? His parents already confessed that he has visited a psychologist but couldn’t maintain it as he declared himself already healed. Thank you!

18. Anonymous

I am married for 3yrs but we live in for 8yrs and a total of 11yrs but in that year of relationship we live together for 4yrs,because I work abroad for 7yrs.and now we decided to annulled our marriage because it’s not gonna work out because of his mistakes way back 2013 and until now I cant forget for what he did,we get married because of my sons request,and now I want annulment and he agree as well,so Is it possible to orocess even im here in abroad?and how long it takes?

• Abner

I’ve found out that my wife had an affair while I’m in abroad. Her brother saw them together in bed when the children are sleeping. What is the best action for what she had done. She had been spending the ncome from our small coconut, piggery and rice field. Telling her parents that I was giving a very amount on her alotment. My contract could be verified on this matter. And she delivered a baby which we don’t know who the real father was. What kind of case can she filed in court If I will not give her any allotment anymore.
      I need an advice from you.

• Lawyers in the Philippines

It will really depend on the situation.

I’d prefer to have more facts but if there is no child support, one of the cases your wife can file is for child support and one for lack of economic support under RA 9262.

19. Marie umacam

Sent an email.

20. Susie

How much is legal separation and how long will it takes? Can i file it directly with the lawyers without consulting our barangay? Thank you,

21. Anonymous

Good afternoon.
    How much the cost of Legal separation?
    How long its take time?
    Can I process legal separation even I’m here abroad?
    How much the cost of Annulment case?
    Can I process annulment even I’m here abroad?
    Thank you!

22. Jo

Hi I got married when i was 19 years old to a 34 yrs old man last 2005, and then he cheat on me many times, physicaly and emotionaly abused me and there is a time he transfered a transmited desease which already been cured, and 2008 we have been separated, and since 2012 he stopped supporting my 2 children, we are almost 11 years separated, and now i wanted to file an annulment am i eligible for this?

• Lawyers in the Philippines

Psychological incapacity is the usual ground used in an annulment.

Your lawyer would first have to go through your situation in detail to ensure you have a strong case. Then, he can tell you how eligible your situation is for annulment and help you gather the documents and proof needed.

He would further have to hire a psychologist to further testify to this claim.

23. Alice

Separated for 10 years I heard now have new law to void married sfter 10 years. Pls advise how much cost if annulment process

• Lawyers in the Philippines

No, even a long separation is not a ground for annulment.

As stated in the article, there are other grounds for annulment, but most Filipino marriages will rely on the ground for psychological incapacity.

24. Anna

Good day. I’ve been married for 25 years with 3 grown up kids. Our 1st 10 years were great. Lots of things happened in the past, like all marriages. I ended up abroad in 2003 now a citizen in another country. We have our own fair share of mistakes, we tried to make it work time and time again, but it finally came down to the realization after he got his retirement from his previous job, he completely forgot me. I’ve been supporting him financially in years while abroad. I got disappointed because his greed took place. lost contact for more than 2 years. and recently connected as I am trying to sponsor my kids for permanency abroad but his stopping them to process their papers. He admits his infidelity, got proof of pictures of him with a different woman. in years I’m emotionally beat up, mentally tortured and is affecting my health. Would this be enough grounds for Legal Separation? We have properties like house, I invested few properties and so he does too. Do i have rights on his earnings and his other benefits and properties even if he just got it recently? for instance brand new car? Thank you in advance.

Dear Anna:

I sent you an email.

25. Ron

Hello! I’ve been financially struggling providing support for my family so I have to go abroad and I’ve found better income here. The wife stayed in the Philippines to take care of our little kids. But I’ve been receiving messages on some man thanking me for being satisfied by my wife. It’s the start of my doubts of her. She’s always denying about having an affair and I can’t find any other proof of her infidelity for she’s always acting like a behave woman. But my doubts of her just gets worst when she’s trying to explain and each time her statements been changing and obviously one can tell she’s lying about certain circumstances. I lost faith in her. Just then, I fell for someone whom I really wanted to be by my side and when she learned about it,confronted me. Right then,we both decided to break up though not legally yet. We both agreed to not interfere on our personal life anymore as long as I will still support our kids. Of course,as a father I certainly would want to care and support my kids even I’m from afar. Recently, I’ve been receiving complaints from my mother and niece that she’s been going out late at night leaving the kids in the room and coming back at dawn. There’s one time that my son has to be hospitalized because it got caught by a dengue but she was not at home to take care of the sick child. I wasn’t able to make actions on legally separating yet since she was also receiving support from me financially because she has no work and was just lazying in the house and just hanging out having good time outside with her friends and probably with her new guy spending my earnings that is supposed to be saved for my children’s emergency needs. Now I really wanted to end everything with her legally which she,without having second thoughts, agreed it too. What steps should I do first to legally void our marriage? How long will it take? How much the cost would be? How about my kid’s custody? Thank you.

26. Marie M

My foriegn husband and i as a filipino were married in singapore and had the report of marriage done. I may ask if we can file a legal separation here in the philippines. Appreciate the help.

27. Maridel

Hello Attorney,

I need your help about my case. Me and my husband been separated for 16 years now. Me and my 2 kids went back to Philippines so that my husband could work and provide. He was not able to get a permanent job due to attitude problem and he keeps hitting my eldest child who was around 2 years old then. I was the only one working, do the daily chores and look after my children. This is the reason why me and my children moved back to Philippines so he could get a job. He never send any financial support at all for my children when he got a job. He married a foreigner after 5 years staying in the foreign country and now they have a son. I went to PAO in our province and they sent summon to his parents’ address but they declined to receive it. They claimed that he moved out or the person is no longer living there which I know is a lie as they his relatives been posting photos in social media that they always go back to Philippines for vacation. I wanted to file a claim for my children and I can’t buy my own property as Pag-Ibig requires his signature. All I wanted is to get what my children deserve and all my insurances would just go to my children without my husband having part of it. And if it is possible, I do not want to carry his last name anymore. Please help. I do not know what to do. Thank you for your valuable time.

Sent an email.

28. KayOli

How much for the full legal separation process?

Sent an email.

29. Kriz

Good day,

Parang napilitan lng po kami mgpalasal ng huband ko ngayon kasi my isang anak kmi.
    Lage lng po kami nagtatalo, hindi na magkasundo. Pwedi pa gawing grounds for annulment yung, tumatabi lng xa sa akin kung makikipagtalik xa. At kung kailan nya lng gusto, at xa lng yung nasasatisfy (i feel like his impotent). After ng masatisfy, tatayo at lilipat nasa ibang kwarto matutulog. He never kissed me or hugged man lng. I feel like, parang parausan nya lng. I always asked him na mag date na kmi lng pro tumatanggi xa…

Pwedi ko ba yan gamitin grounds for annulment?

• Lawyers in the Philippines

Most annulments rely on psychological incapacity as the ground for annulment.

Psychological incapacity may include sexual issues but that should be supported by other examples of the inability of your spouse to fulfill his marital obligations to you.

Consult with a lawyer formally to assess your situation.

30. Grace

Me and my partner are planning to get married. But he was married before and they were already separated for 4 years now because his wife had another man and they had a daughter whos 3 yrs old now. What can we possibly do so that we can legally live together. Thank you

Hi Grace:

If your partner and his ex-wife are both Filipinos and non-Muslims, they will first need to go through an annulment before you can marry.

31. Haydie

Hi. I want to file an annulment. It almost 5 years we are separated. Is it possible for us to show on court even if we both agreed filing an annulment?

Sent an email.

32. Nigel

Good day,
    How much would an annulment cost and how long will it take? My father is still married to his previous partner, but they have been separated for 23yrs now. We are planning to migrate to another country and this issue is hampering our plans. If annulment costs a lot and takes too long, is it possible to consider my parent’s partnership as a “de facto”.Other countries consider a de facto partnership. Thank you very much in advance for your response.

Sent an email.

33. anonymous

hi po good day. me and my husband married for 12yrs. and decided to have legal separation. wala na po kasing respetohan na nangyayari. though kahit magkasama kami ngaun…pero kanya kanyang buhay kami.walang pakialamanan. mag iisang buwan na kaming not in good terms. is it enough reasons para mag file ng legal separation? i think he cheated on me…dahil na rin sa mga deleted convo’s sa phone niya. and how much it will cost for the legal ssparation if ever po? salamat.

Sent an email.

34. Jenelyn

I married a guy because I became pregnant but right after he married me and i delivered my baby. He became different. I mean He became She. Identity disorder? is this a ground for legal sep? He admitted to me that he is gay..Thank you

35. Janeth

Hi pls help me. I wanna know if how much would an annulments cost and how long it takes? Thank u

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Legal separation in the Philippines - Lawyers in the Philippines - […] To see how to dissolve your Philippine marriage, check out 3 Ways to Legally Separate if You’re in a…
  2. Annulment (Nullity of Marriage and Psychological Incapacity) - Lawyers in the Philippines - […] Other than death, there are only 3 ways to legally dissolve a marriage in the Philippines: […]

Submit a Comment